Happy Summer! Cedar Mountain Primary School is a special place for our kindergarten and first-grade children!
As we ready for the 2018-2019 school year, I want to remind our entering kindergarten parents and our returning first-grade parents that all of our curriculum has a focus on best practice instruction such as Responsive Classroom (our daily opening and closing meeting), Readers and Writers Workshop, Fundations, and Math in Focus, to name a few. This summer, teachers are working to update all curriculum that will provide a pathway for all levels of learners. Stay tuned for curriculum information from me in upcoming blogs.
Below is some information that will be helpful to you and your child while school is not in session. For literacy activities, consider accessing the Cedar Mountain library website designed by our new Librarian/Media Specialist, Miss Winzer (a former kindergarten teacher at Cedar Mountain). Check out Miss Winzer’s Great Websites, Cool Tech and Parent Page links. Please go to the Scholastic Summer Reading site to join millions of children around the World that are logging all the minutes they are reading. Also, consider joining the Sussex County Library System summer reading program.
For our entering first-graders, there are many literacy activities on the summer reading sheet that was sent home with your child’s report card in June. Here is a link to the activity sheet.
If you are beginning to purchase school supplies for your child, please see the suggested School Supply List that can be found in the Digital Backpack. You may want to wait until Back to School Night to hear from your child’s teacher so you do not purchase unnecessary items.
Teacher Name and Bus Information for 2018-2019– Parents will be receiving a School Messenger alert and email notifying you to go onto Genesis, our NEW Student Information System, to receive your child’s class placement and bus information on Monday, August 20, 2018. Each building needs the time in July and August to complete the hiring process and assure that our classes are well balanced and cohesive. Making class assignments is one of the most critical decisions a school makes – thus, we want to take the time to get it just right. Many parents request teachers for their child(ren); it is almost impossible to accept all requests. When placing students in classrooms, I work very hard to match a student’s needs with a teacher that can best meet the needs of the student. Of course, there are many highly qualified teachers that look forward to receiving your child and helping each child succeed. Thank you for your understanding.
Save the date…
- Mid-August- Back to School Night letter indicating when each teacher will be holding his or her informational session (Kindergarten 3:30 or 4:30, First-Grade 5:30 or 6:30)
- Monday, August 20th – Genesis Parent Portal opens- Teacher name and bus information available
- Tuesday, August 28th – Open House and SCA Social 10:00- 12:00 -come to find your child’s classroom!
- Thursday, August 30th – Open House and SCA Social 10:00-12:00 –come to find your child’s classroom!
- Back to School Night- Wednesday, September 5th – please bring your kindergarten or first-grade child to this event. Kindergarten: 3:30 and 4:30
- First Day of School- Thursday, September 6th –Kindergarten students- wear your class of 2031 t-shirts! This is an Early Dismissal Day. Friday, September 7th is also an Early Dismissal Day.
- Our first SCA meeting of the year: Monday, September 10th at 9:30 am AND 6:30 pm, in the cafeteria
- Fall Harvest Breakfast- Saturday, September 15th 11:00 am-1: 00 pm
Our new 2018-2019 SCA officers are as follows:
- President: Mrs. Denise Clarke
- Vice President: Mrs. Terrianne Scognamglio
- Recording Secretary: Mrs. Randi Adamitis
- Cooresponding Secretary: Mrs. Sarah Gascon
- Treasurer: Mr. Patrick Currieri
For our entering kindergarten students or new-to-district first-graders, click this link to sign up for a special meeting for your child to meet with me one-on-one.
Please feel free to contact me at Cedar Mountain School if you have any questions for me for the new school year. Parents reading this blog that have not yet registered their child for kindergarten or first-grade; please click this link that will take you to our registration page.
Enjoy the summer months with your family! Soak in the sunshine and the memories that you will make with your children.