Tips for Making the School Year Exciting for You and Your Child:
- Start the morning off on a positive note. Greet your child with a smile and a hug when he/she wakes up.
- Give your child a hug and kiss and send him/her on the bus or drop him/her off at school. Tell him/her that you are off to work or are going home to do some boring adult task, like scrubbing the bathroom floor. Do not linger or look back.
- Put a special object inside his/her backpack that reminds him/her of home. The object should stay in the backpack all day at school.
- After school, spend some quality time together. Make a fun tradition of cookies and milk after school where you get a chance to eat together and chat.
- Stay involved with homework and the topics that are being covered at school. Have your child pack his/her backpack at night.
- Talk about your days. You share details and your child shares details. This is a way to stay connected even when you are apart from one another!