We have a very exciting two weeks coming up so I just wanted to give you a quick update, but before I start my list I want to say a big “WELCOME” to our new Superintendent Karen D’Avino. Please join me in welcoming her to Vernon. I am sure she is going to love it here. Now to the list…
1) Apple Picking Field Trip
- Next Wednesday, September 26 is our annual field trip to Pochuck Valley Farms. If you were with us last year you know how wonderful this event is for our students! We will be apple picking, going on a hay ride, and learning more about the farm. If you have not turned in your permission slip and $10 please do so right away. Also — please remember to have your children wear their The Walnut Ridge School t-shirt that day!
- The last time I sent out a Principal’s Blog I reminded all of you to please fill out your parent forms on the Genesis Parent Portal. Since then many many many of you have done this. Thank you so much! There are a few that still need to fill out the photo consent form, so please do this this week. The reason it is important is that we will be taking photos on the field trip and I would love to be able to put some of those photos on our website and Instagram page. Thank you!
- Speaking of photos… Thursday, September 27 is Picture Day. You will be receiving a picture form in your child’s folder today with more information. Picture Day at this age is such an exciting day for the students, so feel free to have them “dress their best” and don’t forget to practice saying “CHEESE” with them at home!
- Our annual “Week of Respect” begins this year on October 1st. It is a special week where The Walnut Ridge School students and staff highlight the importance of kindness and respect! This year we are going to be focused around the theme “Have You Filled a Bucket Today?”. This theme is based around the book by the same title written by Carol McCloud. I would like to invite you all to watch the video of the author reading the book aloud with your children.
We are asking that you please let us know the “Acts of Kindness” that your children are doing each day at home by filling out an “Acts of Kindness Sheet”. Each morning Ms. DiCarlo and I will wait by the entrance to the school with a big bucket and we will ask that the children fill our bucket with their sheets. For each Act of Kindness we receive from the children, we will create a link on a paper chain. We hope that by the end of the week we will have a paper chain that goes across our building to reflect our unified desire to support each other and be kind. Additionally, each day we will randomly choose 2 or 3 “Acts of Kindness” from student submissions to be read on the loud speaker for all the students to hear!
Lastly, each day of the “Week of Respect” will focus around an “Action of the Day”…
Mon. October 1: SAYING PLEASE!
All students should wear blue for World Day of Bullying Prevention.
Tues. October 2: SAYING THANK YOU!
Wed. October 3: SMILING!
Thurs. October 4:SHARING!
Fri. October 5: GIVING A HIGH FIVE!
All students should wear their The Walnut Ridge School t-shirts!
To view this letter in a digital form and to view the “Acts of Kindness” sheet please click this link HERE.
5) Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram. See some of our photos below…
Error: No feed found.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.
Thank you everyone!