Transportation Department Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The mission of the Vernon Township School District Transportation Department is to safely transport our students to and from school, activities and athletic events each day in a respectful and caring environment. To promote student safety and your child’s well-being, please assist us with teaching your child the bus rider rules and responsibilities so that our most precious cargo is transported safely each and every day.
- Stand at least 10 feet away from the edge of the road so the bus driver and others can see them.
- Wait until the bus makes a complete stop, and the red lights of the bus are flashing before walking toward the bus to board.
- Crossing students should always walk in front of the bus and never behind it. Always cross at least 10 feet ahead of the bus, and wait for the driver’s signal to cross.
- Pay attention and be alert to traffic. When getting on or off the bus, look both ways before crossing the street.
- If the school bus windows are down on a hot day, keep your head and arms inside the bus.
- Know the danger zone and stay out of it. Areas within 10 feet to the front, back and sides of a bus are considered the most dangerous spots.
- Respect the private property of others and maintain good behavior at the bus stop locations.
PARENTS AND MOTORISTS SHOULD:
- Be aware it is illegal to pass a school bus stopped to load or unload students.
- Know and understand laws governing motorist driving behavior near a school or school bus.
- Please supervise your child at the bus stop.
- Do not allow your child to play with footballs, baseballs, skateboards, or other toys to the bus stop.
- Obey the speed limits and slow down when driving in school zones.
- Please keep in mind that there must me a minimum of 15 feet of clear roadway for traffic to pass freely, especially in emergency situations. Do not obstruct the roadway with your vehicle while waiting for the bus to arrive.
- If your child misses the bus, please do not chase after the bus with your car, or have your child run up to the bus at another bus stop. This is extremely dangerous. If you are running late and miss the bus, we ask that you please drive your child to school.