Dear Cedar Mountain Parents and Guardians:
I hope you are enjoying the summer with your family…as the beginning of the new school year approaches; I am looking forward to opening the doors of Cedar Mountain Primary School to our kindergarten and first-graders on Tuesday, September 6th! Below is the information you will need for the beginning of the year. Please mark your calendar for our Open House, Back to School Night, and more! For parents and guardians of entering kindergarten students, there are still open appointments for a Meet and Greet with me. HERE IS THE LINK to the Sign Up Genius website to select a date and time. Here also is a great article for parents and guardians about summer reading that you might like to review.
Summer Academic Camp: Students had a fun month of July in our Summer Academic Camp where they practiced many math and literacy skills, helping our students to transition to kindergarten and first-grade. Thanks to the wonderful teachers Mrs. Sweeney, Mrs. Yarosz, Mrs. Giangrande, Mrs. Start, and Mrs. Nygren, who served in this program working so hard with our students…
Looking for Summer Reading? Here are a few links that you might be interested in when looking for summer reading books for your children
From the American Library Association
From Imagination Soup
Summer Math Reinforcement: Here are two documents for you to reference if you would like to keep your child’s math skills up during the summer months to avoid “the summer slide”.
END OF KINDERGARTEN MATH REINFORCEMENT SKILLS
END OF FIRST-GRADE MATH REINFORCEMENT SKILLS
Cultivate Creativity in Your Child: Creativity helps students navigate the increasingly collaborative and information-rich world that awaits them. It boosts students’ academic performance, perseverance, social-emotional skills, self-confidence, and more. Click on the image below to see the ways that families can use these strategies to cultivate their child’s creativity.
2022-2023 VTSD School Calendar: For planning purposes, Click HERE for the 2022-2023 school calendar. Please note: The VTSD calendar is subject to change by the Board of Education.
Throughout the summer, teachers, administrative assistants, custodians, and maintenance staff have been very busy preparing, cleaning, “polishing”, and preparing the building for the 2022-2023 school year. Here are a few important dates for the month of August and September to mark on your family calendar:
- Friday, August 12th- Bus information ONLY will be available in Genesis. If you feel there is an error in your child’s bus stop or you need to change your child’s bus stop, please contact Mrs. Marisa Broesder at 973-764-4344
- Week of August 22nd– The Genesis portal will open to see your child’s teacher’s name
- Thursday, August 25th – Open House 10:00 am- 12:00 pm
- Monday, August 29th- Open House 10:00 am-12:00 pm- on both of these days, Cedar Mountain Primary School will be open for a visit. Please bring your child, walk the hallways, and help your child locate his or her classroom. Having your child find his or her classroom will ease the first day of school transitions. I will also be available to say hello and meet you and your child. Please note that teachers will not be in their classrooms on this day; however, they are working very hard to prepare for the arrival of their new students!
- The building will be closed for visits on September 1-2, 2022, in order for our faculty to give its undivided attention to the important work of preparing for the new school year.
- Back to School Night- Thursday, September 1st as follows:
3:30 pm: Kindergarten Back to School Night- Please bring your kindergarten child with you
5:00 pm: First Grade Back to School Night- This program is only for parents and guardians- you are kindly requested to please not bring your child
- First Day of School- Tuesday, September 6th
- Fall Harvest Open House- Saturday, September 17th, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm- come enjoy a light refreshments, tour the building, explore our curriculum in demonstrations throughout various classrooms, experience the computer lab as your child would in computer class, visit our library, learn about our curriculum, and stop at stations from different community organizations. We thank the VTEA for receiving a Pride Grant from NJEA to fund this program!
- Picture Day- Tuesday, September 20th
- Principal’s Forum- Wednesday, September 21st, at 6:00 pm, in the cafeteria
Kindergarten Class of 2035 t-shirts: As a reminder to all kindergarten parents, please have your child where his or her Class of 2035 t-shirt on the first day of school. This will be a way to promote school spirit and feel welcome in a new school as a new student. Please contact the office if you did not receive a t-shirt. Your child will have opportunities to wear this shirt on many school spirit days this year. It will also serve as a nice memento for you for years to come.
Please reference the Digital Backpack for important district notices as well as information related to Cedar Mountain. You can also access our Parent Handbook for a lot of other important school information. You can also find a list of suggested school supplies for each grade. The Cedar Mountain website contains all of our school information. The links on the left side of the page have many helpful topics.
Supply Lists for 2022-2023: For planning purposes, here are our supply lists for next year, if you would like to gather these items through the summer months. Please do not purchase too many school supplies without looking at this list.
2022-2023 KINDERGARTEN Supply List
2022-2023 FIRST-GRADE Supply List
2022-2023 SCA: For our new families, the purpose of the School and Community Association (SCA) is to serve Cedar Mountain by encouraging a close relationship with parents, administrators, and faculty in order to enhance cooperation between home and the school so that parents and teachers can work together effectively to ensure a well-rounded quality education for all students. Our SCA meets once a month on the first Thursday of every month at 9:45 am, in the cafeteria. Our first meeting will be on Thursday, September 8th. All parents and guardians are welcome to attend our meetings. HERE IS THE LINK to the Cedar Mountain SCA page. If you would like to become a volunteer with the SCA please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Introducing our 2022-2023 Board:
President: Megan Kapusta
VP: Rose Ahearn
Recording Secretary: Mrs. Ericka Petrucci
Treasurer: Rachel Cawley
Corresponding Secretary: Viviana Quiros
Continue enjoying the summer, please reach out to Cedar Mountain with any questions you may have, the number to the main office is 973-764-2890