Vernon Township High School Counseling Office
Office Phone (973)764-2960
Click here for a list of the Guidance Department staff.
VTHS Guidance Services
The Guidance Department at Vernon Township High School offers a comprehensive range of services and activities. Five counselors as well as our Student Assistant Counselor are available to respond to student needs to help them in a variety of ways when dealing with issues that arise in their academic and personal lives. Individual meetings, classroom activities and presentations, small group counseling, consultation with parents, teachers, administrators and community agencies are all part of the everyday services offered in our department.
Individual planning for life beyond high school begins with students and parents in the ninth grade and continues through graduation with the same counselor as their advocate. The relationship that a student develops with his or her counselor is a very important factor in the student’s journey toward a two or four year college, technical or career school, the military or full time employment.
Our Guidance Department is concerned with the student as an individual. Each counselor is alert to the many dimensions of the teen years and views each student as unique and worthy of being treated with respect and dignity. The overall philosophy of Vernon Township High School’s Guidance Department is to assist students in personal growth through educational planning, self-awareness, interpretation of data, setting goals, decision making and implementation of career and personal goals.
Some reasons to see your Counselor might be:
- help choosing the appropriate courses as you work towards graduation.
- exploring career options after high school.
- helping to improve communication with teachers, parents and peers.
- personal problems that may impact academic performance and social development.
- academic difficulties.
- help with college search, applications and the admissions process.
- help with scholarship, volunteer and community service opportunities.
- help with course credit recovery/summer school/virtual learning.