The Board of Education recognizes certain buildings in the school district may contain asbestos. The Board and school staff members have implemented the necessary safety measures to eliminate the possibility of asbestos fiber release episodes to ensure the safety of all building occupants. The district maintains an Asbestos Management Plan as required by the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA). The following procedures shall be implemented in the event of an inadvertent disturbance that causes an asbestos fiber release episode in a school district building.
1. The area where the fiber release may have occurred shall be immediately evacuated;
2. The building’s heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system shall be shut down;
3. The area where the fiber release may have occurred shall be sealed off and doors shall be closed;
4. The Superintendent and building maintenance supervisor shall be immediately contacted;
5. The names of all persons who were in the area where the fiber release may have occurred shall be recorded and maintained in separate file;
6. The Building Principal or designee shall communicate to the parents/legal guardians of pupils, staff, ad other occupants of the building as necessary; and
7. The school district shall take such action as necessary depending on whether asbestos fibers were released.
Adopted: September 2005