- Injuries and/or Illness Requiring Immediate Attention
These regulations apply when a student, staff member, visitor, or other person on school grounds or during a school-sponsored event, activity, or field trip is injured or becomes suddenly ill. A school staff member shall take charge under these circumstances until the school nurse or another medical professional arrives on the scene.
- The injury or illness shall be reported immediately to the school nurse or, in the absence of the school nurse, to the Principal or designee.
- If it is evident the illness or injury is serious and immediate medical attention may be required, emergency medical assistance shall be immediately summoned by a telephone call to 911.
- The injured or ill person shall be examined for any obvious injuries or health problems.
- The injured or ill person shall be checked for the presence of a necklace or bracelet that identifies a particular medical problem.
- The injured or ill person shall not be moved, except as may be necessary to remove the person from a dangerous environment.
- The injured or ill person should b made as comfortable as possible, without moving him/her.
7 No food or liquid should be given to the injured or ill person except on the orders of the school nurse or another medical professional.
- The injured or ill person shall be informed when emergency medical assistance has been contacted.
- Emergency First Aid Procedures
- The school nurse or other medical professional will administer emergency first aid to an injured student, staff member, or visitor.
- In the event the school nurse or other medical professional is not available or before the school nurse or other medical professional arrives, the school staff member or other adult in charge may administer basic first aid to the injured or ill person until the school nurse or other trained medical professional arrives.
- The school nurse will develop, in consultation with the school physician, basic emergency first aid procedures in the event a school staff member may be in the position to provide emergency first aid to an injured or ill person until the school nurse or other medical professional arrives on the scene.
- The school nurse will make such basic emergency first aid procedures available to school staff members.
Issued: February 2017