The Board of Education recognizes that support staff members will have expertise and knowledge in areas that other school districts, agencies, private business organizations and other entities may desire. Recognizing that the school district will request the expertise from support staff members from other school districts, agencies, private business organizations and other entities the Board supports sharing of its support staff members with other school districts and agencies to the extent it does not interfere with the efficient operation of the school district.
1. Agency – A public or private agency requesting the services of the school district’s support staff member.
2. Other school districts – A school district other than the school district that employs the support staff member, including all supervisory and administrative personnel.
3. Out-of-pocket expenses Expenses that provide reimbursement for such items as travel, lodging, meal expenses, parking, copy costs, and supply costs.
4. Remuneration Any compensation, including, but not limited to, a paid stipend, an hourly fee, a per day fee, and/or any benefit conferred upon the support staff member, except out-of-pocket expenses.
5. Staff member A contracted member of the school district’s support staff, including all supervisory and administrative personnel.
B. Procedure – Consulting For No Additional Remuneration
1. The support staff member or the agency requesting the expertise and knowledge of the support staff member must submit a written request to the Superintendent or designee. The written request must include the following:
a. The date(s) the support staff member will away from the district;
b. The time of day the support staff member’s will be away from the school district;
c. Any out-of-pocket costs to the school district;
d. Any reimbursements that the support staff member is entitled to from the other school district or agency;
e. The specific services requested of the support staff member; and
f. The location where the services will be provided.
2. The Superintendent or designee will evaluate the request for a recommendation to be approved by the Board based on the criteria above along with any existing or potential relationships with the other school district for reciprocal services, a reduction in the future or existing cost of services to the school district, the support staff member’s attendance record and the impact of the support staff member being out of the school district for the requested time.
3. The Superintendent or designee will determine and recommend each request on a case-by-case basis and the decision is final. The Superintendent may require the other district or agency to pay the cost of any substitute personnel related to the request.
4. If deemed to be in the best interest of the school district, the Superintendent’s recommendation will be submitted to the Board for approval.
5. The Board’s approval of the Superintendent’s recommendation will permit the support staff member’s consulting activity attendance and the support staff member will receive credit as a regular workday. There shall be no overtime, extra-pay or additional time-off granted to the support staff member if the request is approved by the Board.
6. The support staff member must normally complete any paid consulting activities on his/her own time which would include vacation days, evenings, weekends, and/or school holidays. The support staff member may be granted an unpaid leave of absence to perform the consulting activity when such leave is recommended by the Superintendent and approved by the Board.
C. Reporting Activities
The support staff member must comply with the New Jersey School Ethics Act N.J.S.A. 18A:12-21 et seq. and, if required, must comply with financial disclosure requirements of N.J.S.A. 18A:12-24 and 12-25.
Issued: 21 April 2005