The School Business Administrator/Board Secretary shall strive to achieve district goals for pupils by providing leadership and supervision in the district program of fiscal management and in other assigned programs, and by acting as a proper model for staff and pupils both in and outside the school district.
In order to achieve the functions of the position, the School Business Administrator/Board Secretary shall work cooperatively with the district administrative staff to:
1. Establish and maintain long-range and other fiscal plans;
2. Prepare the annual budget based upon district resources and needs;
3. Ensure that all district fiscal, insurance, custodial-maintenance, food, and transportation services comply with the policies of the Board and the regulations of the district;
4. Ensure the proper functioning and evaluation of district personnel assigned to his/her areas of responsibility;
5. Manage efficiently the district systems of accounting, purchasing, investment, insurance, plant construction, plant operation and maintenance, transportation, and food services;
6. Strive to increase the capability of the staff assigned to his/her area of responsibility through consultation and in-service training;
7. Analyze the effectiveness of district programs in his/her area of responsibility and recommend changes in program direction, staffing, or management strategies as necessary;
8. Strive to increase the efficient use of district resources in his/her area of responsibility;
9. Help to interpret the budget and the district affairs under his/her supervision to interested members of the school district community;
10. Strive to develop personal capabilities in financial strategies and supervisory methods;
11. Strive to conduct himself or herself in a proper manner at all times;
12. Be responsible for the conduct of all duties legally assigned to his/her position including:
a. Providing adequate notice of all public meetings of the Board to the members and to those requesting notice in accordance with law, N.J.S.A. 10:4-8d, 10:4-19; 18A:10-4, 18A:17-7;
b. Recording the minutes of all proceedings of the Board and the results of annual or special school elections, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-7;
c. Collecting tuition fees and other moneys due the Board and transmitting them to the Treasurer of School Moneys, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-8;
d. Examining and auditing all accounts and demands against the Board, presenting them to the Board at its meetings, indicating the Board’s approval and sending them to the Treasurer for payment, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-8; 18A:19-4;
e. Keeping accounts of the district’s financial transactions including a correct detailed accounting of all expenditures, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-8;
f. Reporting to the Board at each regular meeting, but not more often than once per month, the amount of the total appropriations and cash receipts for each account, and the amounts of warrants drawn against each account, and the amounts of orders or contractual obligations incurred and chargeable against each account, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-9;
g. Keeping all contracts, records, and documents belonging to the Board, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-9;
h. Giving the Board a detailed report of its financial transactions at the close of each fiscal year and filing a copy with the County Superintendent, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-10;
i. Reporting to the Commissioner annually the amount of unpaid school debt, the interest rate payable, the dates of issue, and the due dates of bonds or other indebtedness; N.J.S.A. 18A:17-12;
j. Preparing a summary of the annual audit and recommendations prior to the meeting of the Board to act thereon and supplying copies of the summary to interested persons, and to prepare the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) N.J.S.A. 18A:23-4;
k. Subscribe to bonds, notes, contracts, and other legal instruments of the Board for which the signature of the Secretary is required, N.J.S.A. 18A:24-32; and
l. Sign all school district warrants and certify to the payroll, N.J.S.A. 18A:19-1, 19-9.
13. Perform such other duties as may be required by the Board or Superintendent.
The School Business Administrator/Board Secretary shall be directly responsible to the Superintendent for the performance of his/her assigned duties and responsibilities as School Business Administrator and to the Board for the performance of his/her legal duties as Board Secretary.
Cross reference: Policy Guide Nos. 6220, 6700, 6810, 6820
Adopted: May 2014