A. Roles and Responsibilities for the Implementation of the Annual Evaluation Policy and Procedures.
1. The Board of Education and the Superintendent will develop and the Board will adopt a job description and evaluation criteria for the Superintendent’s position based upon the Board’s local goals, program objectives, policies, instructional priorities, State goals, statutory requirements, and the functions, duties, and responsibilities of the Superintendent.
2. The Superintendent shall have primary responsibility for data collection and reporting methods appropriate to the job description.
3. The Board President, or the Board President’s designee, shall oversee the annual evaluation of the Superintendent.
4. The Board President shall establish timelines for completion of the annual evaluation of the Superintendent.
B. Annual Summary Conference
1. The Board of Education shall conduct an annual summary conference with the Superintendent to develop and prepare an Annual Written Performance Report.
2. The annual summary conference between the Board of Education, with a majority of its total membership present, and the Superintendent shall be held before the Annual Written Performance Report is prepared and filed.
3. The Superintendent shall submit to all Board members any information, statistics, or any other data or information he/she would like for the Board members to consider at the annual summary conference.
4. The Board President, or the Board President’s designee, shall preside over the Board’s annual summary conference meeting.
5. The conference shall be held in executive session, unless the Superintendent requests it be held in public. The conference shall include, but not be limited to, review of the following:
a. Performance of the Superintendent based upon the Board approved job description;
b. Performance area(s) needing improvement based upon the job description and evaluation criteria set forth in N.J.A.C. 6A:10-7.1(c)2;
c. Recommendations for professional growth and development;
d. Summary of indicators of student progress and growth, and a statement of how the indicators relate to the effectiveness of the overall program and the Superintendent’s performance; and
e. Provision for performance data not included in the report to be entered into the record by the Superintendent within ten teaching staff member working days after the report’s completion.
6. The Board President, or the Board President’s designee, shall prepare a draft of the Annual Written Performance Report after the annual summary conference.
7. The draft of the Annual Written Performance Report shall be disseminated to all Board members for review and comment before presenting the draft report to the Superintendent.
a. In the event a Board member believes a provision(s) of the draft of the Annual Written Performance Report is not in accord with the provisions agreed to by a majority of the Board during the annual summary conference, the Board member shall submit in writing their proposed revision(s) to the drafter of the Annual Written Performance Report. The draft of the Annual Written Performance Report may be revised by the drafter of the report if the drafter agrees with the Board member’s proposed revision. In the event the drafter does not agree with the proposed revision(s), the issue shall be presented to the full membership of the Board of Education in executive session to make a final determination.
8. The draft of the Annual Written Performance Report shall be presented to the full membership of the Board of Education in executive session for discussion and approval after the draft report has been disseminated to all Board members for review. The Superintendent shall receive a copy of the draft of the Annual Written Performance Report from the Board President, or Board President’s designee, prior to the executive session where the Board is scheduled to discuss and approve.
9. In the event the Superintendent does not agree with a provision(s) in the draft of the Annual Written Performance Report, the Superintendent shall be provided an opportunity to discuss with the full membership of the Board reconsideration of the disputed provision(s).
10. A majority of the Board’s full membership shall approve the draft of the Annual Written Performance Report before presenting the final Annual Written Performance Report to the Superintendent.
11. The Superintendent may submit a written response to the final Annual Written Performance Report, which shall be attached to the report
C. Nontenured Superintendent of Schools
1. The evaluation procedure for a nontenured Superintendent shall also be completed by July 1 each year.
Adopted: February 2014