Teaching staff members are responsible for supervision of pupils and must discharge that responsibility with the highest levels of care and prudent conduct. All teaching staff members of this district shall be governed by the following rules in order to protect the well being of pupils and to avoid any assignment of liability to this Board of Education or to a staff member personally in the event a pupil is injured.
The Superintendent shall prepare such regulations as may be required to enforce the following rules:
1. Each teaching staff member must maintain a standard of care for supervision, control, and protection of pupils commensurate with the member’s assigned duties and responsibilities;
2. A teaching staff member should not voluntarily assume responsibility for duties he/she cannot reasonably perform. Such assumed responsibilities carry the same potential for liability as do assigned responsibilities;
3 . A teaching staff member must provide proper instruction in safety wherever course guides so provide;
4. A teaching staff member must report immediately to the Building Principal any accident or safety hazard the member detects;
5. A teaching staff member must not send pupils on personal errands;
6. A teaching staff member must never transport pupils in a personal vehicle without the approval of the Building Principal;
7. A teaching staff member must not require a pupil to perform tasks that may be detrimental to the health or well being of the pupil or other pupils;
8. A teaching staff member will refrain from the use of personal furnishings and equipment in the classroom without the express permission of the Principal;
9. A teaching staff member must immediately report any instance of substance abuse, violence, vandalism, accidents, or suspected child abuse in accordance with Policy Nos. 8442, 8461, and 8462.
N.J.S.A. 9•6-8.8 et seq. N.J.S.A. 18A:25-2
N.J.S.A. 59:1-1 et seq.
Adopted: 21 April 2005