A. Approval of Travel Expense Reimbursement
The following procedure shall be implemented for a teaching staff member seeking to receive travel expense reimbursement:
1. A Request for Travel Expense Report must be submitted to the Superintendent of Schools prior to the travel date(s) and at least 15 days before a Board meeting. The request shall include supporting documentation to include: the type of travel; location of the travel; occurrences of the travel; date(s) of travel; and all related costs including transportation expenses, parking, tolls, lodging, registration fees, meals, and other expenses.
2. The Superintendent of Schools shall review and may approve or deny each request for travel. The Superintendent’s signature designating approval is required on the request for travel expenses.
3. All requests for travel expenses approved by the Superintendent of Schools shall be forwarded to the District Administrator in charge of Professional Development, or designee, to determine if the expenses as outlined in the request are in compliance with State travel payment guidelines established by the Department of the Treasury and with guidelines established by the Federal Office of Management and Budget.
a. If the requested travel expenses are in compliance with the guidelines the School Business Administrator/Board Secretary will include the travel expense information on the Board of Education Approval of Travel Expense Form for submission to the Board of Education for approval.
b. If any travel expenses are not in compliance with the guidelines the District Administrator in charge of Professional Development, or designee, will return the request to the Superintendent of Schools. The Superintendent may deny the returned request or approve the request conditioned upon the teaching staff member assuming the financial responsibility for those travel expenses not in compliance with the guidelines. If the Superintendent of Schools approves the request the School Business Administrator/Board Secretary will include a summary of this documentation on the Board of Education Approval of Travel Expense Form.
4. The Board of Education Approval of Travel Expense Form shall be presented to the Board of Education for approval. Approval by a majority of the full voting membership of the Board at a Board meeting is required.
B. Reimbursement of Travel Expenses
All travel expenses that receive prior written approval of the Superintendent of Schools and prior approval of the Board shall be reimbursed by the Board of Education in accordance with the following procedures:
1. The teaching staff member, within 15 calendar days after incurring the approved travel expenses, shall be required to submit to the School Business Administrator/Board Secretary receipts documenting all prior Board approved travel expenses paid by the teaching staff member during the travel. Reimbursement to the teaching staff member will be made in accordance with the district’s payment procedures. Travel payments will be paid only upon compliance with P.L. 2007 c. 53 and Policy 3440 provisions and approval requirements.
2. Receipts for the approved expenses to be paid directly to a vendor(s) accepting the school district’s purchase order will be obtained directly from the vendor by the Business office. Payment directly to the vendor will be made in accordance with the district’s payment procedures.