The Board of Education recognizes the services of volunteer athletic coaches bring unique skills to the district, enrich the athletic program, assist district’s coaching staff members in the performance of their duties, and enhance the relationship between the school district and the community. The Board directs a program for the utilization of volunteer athletic coaches in grades nine through twelve.
The Athletic Director will be responsible for the recruitment and screening of volunteer athletic coaches and their assignment. The district is not obligated to utilize the proffered services of a volunteer athletic coach whose abilities or interests do not serve the needs of the school district as determined by the Superintendent. Coaching volunteers must be persons of known character, responsibility, and integrity and must be recommended by the Superintendent and approved by the Board of Education prior to assuming any coaching responsibilities.
The Athletic Director will prepare and promulgate rules of conduct for volunteer athletic coaches. Each volunteer athletic coach will be given a copy of this policy and the rules of conduct.
The following guidelines shall govern the service of a volunteer athletic coach:
1. Volunteer athletic coaches may serve only under the direction and immediate supervision of a head and/or assistant coach employed by the Board;
2. Volunteer athletic coaches must clearly understand their duties and responsibilities and perform no services outside those duties;
3. Volunteer athletic coaches serve only in a support capacity and only head or assistant coaches employed by the Board are responsible for the supervision and instruction provided to pupils participating in the athletic program;
4. Volunteer athletic coaches shall respect the individuality, dignity and worth of each pupil;
5. Volunteer athletic coaches are not permitted access to pupil records;
6. Volunteer athletic coaches must exercise discretion in disclosing any confidential pupil matters the coach becomes aware of as a result of their volunteer responsibilities;
7. Volunteer athletic coaches must consult with the Athletic Director regarding any matters or questions regarding their duties and responsibilities; and
8. Volunteers shall receive no financial remuneration
The Superintendent shall report annually to the Board on the number of volunteer coaches serving in the district, the duties performed by volunteer coaches, and the number of volunteer hours served, by school athletic program.
Adopted: 21 April 2005