BOARD OF EDUCATION
5511.01/Page 1 of 1
Volunteer School Uniforms
5511.01 VOLUNTEER SCHOOL UNIFORMS
The Vernon Township Board of Education respects the rights of students and families to select school clothing that is appropriate to a public school. The board also realizes that allowing the use of voluntary uniforms can simplify clothing selection and perhaps be more economical for client families.
- The topic of uniforms and voluntary uniforms has had public discussion on numerous past occasions. The Vernon Township Board of Education hereby entrusts the Superintendent to develop a procedure which will allow for the successful and voluntary uniform program.
- The voluntary uniform effort should be preceded by a significant period of parent notification.
- Selected uniforms for purchase must adhere to the district dress code and be designed to support rational and legitimate school objectives including, but not limited to, neatness and cleanliness, elimination of distractions and disruptions to the educational process, health and safety considerations, and respect for the rights of others.
- Material selected for the voluntary uniform should be considered carefully for students with sensory issues.
- Voluntary uniforms should be affordable for parents and easily available for purchasing.
- Voluntary uniforms will be made available on a year round basis.
Adopted: November 2016